Writer Wednesday - Author Tiva Wallon

When did you first begin writing?

I have been writing for over 30 years, but never had the courage to try and get published until I worked in the décor department of a major retailer. I worked with a woman named Allison, (she passed away 4 years ago) who had just gotten her book published. She let me read her book, "Mercy Drops" and I told her I wish I had the courage to submit. Allison told me she would help me so in 2005 I became a published author.

When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?

My first book was published back in 2006 under the name of Colette Chamberlain. The title of the book was, "Footsteps Through Time."
What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?
I truly enjoy fiction because...well, my mind sometime goes where ever it wants and comes up with some pretty crazy things. As a child, I was always pretending this and that, making up far fetched stories and often daydreaming. I love science fiction, erotica and at time, I dabble in nonfiction.
Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?
I write part time, most of the time. But some time when my muse goes wild, I'll be buried in my office for days. I own a small farm, raise chickens and dabble in many things.
How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?
This is so easy to do, but, something you have to really work at. Fliers, book marks, author events, social networks, the internet, I have tons of ideas and ways to market my work.
What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
In the beginning, when I decided to pursue my writing, I joined a local writers group. There, I met many best selling authors from Blaze, Harlequin, and Silhouette. A couple of the authors sat me down and asked me what my biggest fear was, and I told them, the dreaded rejection letter and bad reviews. They laughed and showed me all their rejection letters. They told me rejection should be used as a learning tool and not everyone is going to like what I write. They told me that if I can't handle a bad review and get my feelings hurt, then I don't need to be a writer. Who are those best selling authors who showed me dozens of rejection letters and tons of bad reviews? Janel Taylor and Connie Masson. They told me to write what I know, to show, not tell. When I let them read what I wrote, one told me she loved it. The other said my story was the same old stuff. Since then, I haven't feared the bad reviews or rejection letters. I go back, fix and move on.
Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews?

I ask if someone would like to read my book and to please give a review.
Let everyone know where they can find you and your books.
Most of my books can be found on Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble NOOK books under the name of Tiva Wallon and MJ ROBB.
Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?
If you are serious about writing, write every day. Even if it's a paragraph and if an idea hits you anywhere, jot it down. It could be used later. Never let anyone tell you, you can't write or that your work stinks. If you keep working at it, improving as you go, then you will succeed. Rewrite, keep submitting or self publish. Be prepared to promote, promote, promote your work and yourself. Don't worry about what other people think or say about you. Live your life to make YOU happy.






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor