Writer Wednesday - Author Zayd Bell


When did you first begin writing?

I started writing in the seventh grade. Aside from assigned essays and reports, I found myself making up little stories, at times. At the age of eighteen, I began writing short stories. After a while, I had accumulated several notebooks full of them.

When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?

I finished my first book in 2004. It was never titled nor published. My first official book, “High School Sweets” was finished and published on February 25th, 2012.


What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?

I write gay erotic fiction, or homo-erotica, but I like to call my stories erotic dramas. For my eighteenth birthday, I wanted to visit an adult bookstore. Of all the merchandise, I picked out a few magazines. And although the photography was captivating, I found the short stories to be much more. I was fascinated. This is what started the several notebooks of short stories. I like to write erotica because you can do what you want to whomever you want, in any way, shape or form. Sexuality is a form of art, if you see it that way. I enjoy writing about it. I enjoy the fantasy. I enjoy the control of designing the characters to my taste. Everyone has things that they would like to do, but would never do, so I write about them and people can relate.

Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?

Aside from writing, I’m a full-time student.

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

I haven’t done as much marketing as I should have done. So far, I’ve used Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the word out.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

The toughest criticism I’ve received was in an almost hateful review of my second novel, The Sweeter the Juice (Part One). It was as if she had knowingly purchased the color red and expressed her hatred for it because it wasn’t the color blue. This is the only bad review I’ve received since I started writing. The best compliment, however, is one that is still repeated. I’m told I am an excellent writer. I may never realize it, because of my modesty, but I appreciate it and it keeps me going.

Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews?

I try to refrain from requesting reviews. I just wait and see if I’m good enough for people to do it, willingly.

Let everyone know where they can find you and your books.

I can be found on Facebook at zayd.bell@facebook.com, or by my given name. Also on Twitter @WriteEatLove. My books can be found on Amazon.com under Zayd Bell.

Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?

The best advice I can give is go for it. Start somewhere. Pour every detail, in your mind, onto a piece of paper. Go back, think deeper, and fill it in. Repeat. Always ask for input. Find an audience, and give them something better than what they want. If you don’t like it, no one else will. You can’t be a writer, if you don’t love the art of writing. 




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor