Writer Wednesday - Author Keith Kareem Williams

When did you first begin writing?

I first began writing shortly after I learned how to read. I had to be about three or four years old. I’ve always loved reading so it felt natural for me to make up my own little stories, even way back then.

When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?

My first novel is titled “Water Flows Under Doors” and as I reach way back into my unreliable memory, I believe I finished that novel back in December of 2003.

What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?

I don’t write in any one specific genre. I tend to mix and match them, depending on how my stories evolve. If I had to describe my writing style, I would say that I write I write Urban, Hip-Hop fiction with the soulful rhythm of Reggae that crashed into Heavy Metal and then began to bleed Neo Soul.

Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?

I write full-time.

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

There was a time when I was very shy about my writing but once I became a full-time writer, I transformed myself in an “always-on-duty. 24-7, 365 marketing machine.” I sell my books in the streets of New York and I also promote my work heavily online on as many social networking sites I can.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

Early on in my career, I was nervous about putting too much of myself into my novels. I was uncomfortable sharing so much of myself with strangers. One reader told me that she enjoyed my first book but also wanted to “feel” more of me in the pages. Since then, I’ve started to do that and become bolder with each book. As far as compliments go, I’ve been told that I’m one of the best doing it right now so that always feels great to hear, although I don’t let it go to my head. Overconfidence is the first step down the road to complacency and that is a path I never want to travel.

Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews?

Every now and then I remind my readers that it would be nice if they shared all of the wonderful things they say in private, via emails, comments, tweets etc. in the form of a review so that the rest of the world can see that folks out here really do enjoy my work. Not everyone does but, I’m ok with that too as long as they continue to send me their feedback and support my books. I’m starting to realize that readers can be shy about writing for the rest of the public to read their thoughts. Writing comes natural to me but it isn’t that way for everyone.

Let everyone know where they can find you and your books. (ie Facbook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.)

They can find me on my Author Page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/keithkareemwilliams

They can also follow me on Instagram & Twitter where my username is: @reemafterdark

Last but not least, they can find tons of samples of my work on my blog: www.thegullygodchronicles.blogspot.com


Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?

Writers WRITE so if you’re serious about it, you should be writing every day, whether or not you feel inspired. Once you pick up the pen or start tapping the keys on your keyboard, the inspiration will come. Also, most of the great writers are also avid readers. Don’t think for a second that that’s just a coincidence. Read everything, especially books outside of the genre you write. Lastly, remember that there is ALWAYS more to learn.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor