Writer Wednesday - Author Shani Greene-Dowdell

When did you first begin writing?

In 2005. My passion for writing spawned from a love of reading many great novels by African American writers.

When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?
I finished writing Keepin’ It Tight in 2007 and published it the same year.

What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?

I guess if you have to categorize my work, it would go in the Women’s Contemporary Fiction with an urban flair. I didn’t choose the genre. It chose me, as the characters’ attitudes and plots are similar to situations I have witnessed or experienced.

Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?

I am a full-time medical transcriptionist. I write, edit, and publish part time.

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

I use social media, email campaigns, and face-to-face social events. All three have been great tools.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?

My toughest criticism has come from reader’s reviews, which I follow closely to gauge what readers are thinking. One review in particular caused me to rewrite an already published book, cutting down on the narrative voice. Doing that led to better reviews. I work hard to maintain my voice, but my ultimate goal is for the reader to turn the pages seamlessly.

What has been the best compliment?

The best compliment is a 5-star review by a complete stranger saying, “I couldn’t put the book down,” or asking, “When is the next book?”

Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews?

I solicit book reviewers and beta readers. I also simply ask my FB friends to please read and review. Currently, I have a “Read. Review. Win a Kindle Fire HDX Contest” going on until July 31st whereby one person who purchases my latest book and posts a review on Amazon by July 31st at 11:59 p.m. will be selected to win a Kindle Fire HDX

Let everyone know where he or she can find you and your books.

I’m on Twitter @shaniwrites and Facebook at www.facebook.com/shanibooks. My books are available on my website at www.nayberrypublications.com, Amazon and BN.com.

Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?

Just do it. You may be interested in writing but not know where to start. It’s like riding a bicycle, you will never be able to figure it out unless you get on the bike and start peddling. Mistakes will be made, but don’t worry about that at first. Just focus on getting started and you will get better with each pen stroke. Another piece of advice is to be open to constructive criticism, but do not allow anyone to talk you out of the desires of your heart. Good luck on the journey fellow writers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor