Writer Wednesday - Author Theresa Hodge

When did you first begin writing?

I began writing poetry when I was in elementary school. My older brother wrote awesome poetry and I found my love of writing it because of him. For some reason, I stopped writing completely and it was only after my oldest sister died from breast cancer did I pick up my pen and started writing again. It was a promise to her that I needed to fulfill.

When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?

My first full novel is titled Ask Me Again. I began writing it several years ago as therapy after my sister, Denise, died from breast cancer. I never thought I would get it published, but I guess God had other plans.

What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?

I write contemporary romance. A few of my short stories are in erotic anthologies. I chose contemporary romance, because I love everything to do with love and romance. I was a big Cinderella fan growing up and still am.

Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?

I'm a band booster volunteer for my local school. I write part time but would love to get focused enough and write full time. I would like to call myself a home engineer. For some reason homemaker sounds so outdated.

How do you market your work and what avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

I admit I'm not too good with the marketing thing right now. I do Facebook, Twitter and word of mouth right now. I hope to learn and do more in the future.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

If I remember correctly, one of my erotica short stories was reviewed as pure rubbish. Those may not be the exact words, but It's close enough. The best compliments are when readers say they want to read more from me and can't wait until the next book. I do realize that one needs tough skin in this business.

Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews? 

When someone tells me that they have read my book, I ask them will they please leave a review.
  
Let everyone know where they can find you and your books.

They can find it on Amazon, through Nayberry Publications and I will have paperback copies next month. They can inbox me on Facebook and I will get the copies to them via the postal service.

Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?

If you don't know where to begin,  just pick up pen and paper and begin somewhere. Write from your heart. If it isn't but a paragraph, write it. And above all, don't measure yourself by another writer’s work. You can only be yourself and being yourself is enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor