Writer Wednesday - Author John Bowens


When did you first begin writing? 

I began writing in th e form of novels in 1997  after losing someone who was like a mother to me to HIV/AIDS.

When did you finish your first book and what's the title?

I completed my first book in 2002, it's the first book of a series and it's called '24 Hours To Live'.

What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?

I write in the Urban (Hip Hop) fiction Genre, and honestly that genre chose me! Being a resident of the inner city for most of my life, I wanted to share our daily struggles with people from other backgrounds, cultures and walks of life.

Do you write full time or do you have another profession?

I DON'T write full time, but, my other professions go hand in hand with my writing. I'm also a publisher, and a salesman ... I publish my own books and I get out there into the streets to hustle, it's MY JOB to get my books inside the palms of my reader’s hands!

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

I market via the internet (Amazon.com, Facebook and Instagram) and also through word of mouth. I take my books everywhere I go and I talk about my books even to people who aren't in a position to purchase my books. I ask people do they know other people that read and I appeal to those people to tell others about John Bowens, Tropical illusions, and Step Ya Game Up Publishing! The avenue that works best for me with this genre is selling books right out of the trunk of my car all around the country!

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

Ummm, the toughest criticism that I received may have came from people with a 'holier than thou' mentality. "Oh Lord, do you have to use so much profanity?"  "John, you have a strong message but overall I think your writing is waaaay too graphic!"


By far the best compliment is when someone dubbed me a modern day Donald Goines!

Reviews are important for authors, how do you go about requesting reviews?

Here is an area where I need to tighten up. I normally ask my readers are they on Amazon.com, GoodReads or even Facebook. If they're on either of these internet sights or even ones that I haven't mentioned, I ask them to leave an honest review of my book. 

Let everyone know where they can find you and your books.

I am on Facebook under the name: Nowucme Nowudont. On Instagram it's: johnbowens69
You can also order my book Tropical Illusions on Amazon.com and Barnes & Nobles.com
You can also order directly from me by calling (704)352-2173 or sending a money order for $15.00 plus $3.00 shipping & handling to: 

Step Ya Game Up Publishing
7721 East Lane Drive
Charlotte, NC 28212

Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?

Start writing!!! If you want to tell a story make sure YOU KNOW the story you want to tell. And learn the business ... Pick up: 'A Dummy's guide to getting published'. Grab: 'The Idiot's guide to self publishing'. Another great book to get your hands on is: 'The Chicago Manual Of Style'! 

Thank you Teresa D Patterson for allowing me to be a part of this segment! #writerWednesday


Previous Writer Wednesday Author Interview

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor