Writer Wednesday - Author Ariel Desiree

Tell us a little about yourself.

I am a thirty-something year old mother of two sons who is a foster care case manager by day, and writer by night.  I enjoy reading, writing, motherhood, and secretly wish to be a cat lady.

When did you first begin writing?

I began writing short stories very early in life, and eventually began writing fan fiction stories in high school. 

When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?

My first book, No Love at the Bottom of the Barrel, was completed in 2015 after five long years.

What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?
My current books are urban fiction.  However, I love to read many different genres, so I enjoy writing in different genres.  I want to write in the high fantasy, romance, and literary fiction genres under different pen names. 

Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?

I aspire to turn this passion for writing into a profession; however, currently I am employed with a child protective services agency.

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

So far, I’ve been using social media to market my work.  I’ve gotten a decent response thus far, however, I am thinking of other marketing strategies.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

I’ve come to find that writing is really the author’s baby.  The editing process was new to me, so I had to switch modes from author to reader in order to process why the changes that were made was necessary.  I received the best compliment when a reader shared that my book was so detailed that she felt like she was actually in the story.

Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews?

I make sure I respond to each person who has contacted me telling me they have purchased my book, and request that they share what they think in a review.  I really care what the reader thinks, so all reviews are welcomed and appreciated.

Let everyone know where he or she can find you and your books.

No Love at the Bottom of the Barrel is available as an ebook on Kindle.  No Love at the Bottom of the Barrel 2 will be available shortly, as well as hard copies of both books.

Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?

Take it from a person that has been there, don’t ever look to anyone else to validate your writing aspirations.  People will discourage you with stories of how hard it is to be successful and to make money in this business.  If you’re like me neither fame nor fortune is what drives you, the love of words and the possibility of touching souls is what motivates you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor