Writer Wednesday - Author Angel Mechelle


Tell the readers something about yourself:

Angel Mechelle, Angel, Ang, A whatever you decide to call me I’m always the same girl. I love writing, music, reading and all things creative. I’m a hopeless romantic, die hard Lakers/ Kobe Bryant fan. I’m the mother of two, a son and daughter who are my biggest loves. I was raised an Army brat and I’ve traveled all over the world. I have many quirks and irks…I tend to ramble and I love entirely too hard. I love meeting new people, taking pictures and selfies. My favorite rapper is Styles P…um…let’s see…I guess that pretty much sums me up in a little nutshell. I’ve been through a lot of storms but my life has finally come full circle.  

When did you first begin writing?

I first developed a love for creative writing in middle school. It continued throughout high school where I dabbled in poetry, wrote short stories, long love letters and articles for the school newspaper. My first published short stories, Caught Up and Thug Passion were featured in the anthology Hood2Hood in 2007.

When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?

I finished my first book, Another Woman’s Husband in late 2007. It was published in June 2008. It took me a little over one year to complete the manuscript.

What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre? 
 
I have always enjoyed reading Urban fiction. I also write in that genre it is what best reflects the situations I write about.

Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?

I am finally at a point where I can say that I write full-time. I left my full-time job in late 2012 after seven years with the company.

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre? 

I’ve done almost everything to market my book, from blogtalk radio shows, to fliers and bookmarks. I’ve also done my rounds in the hair and nail salons as well. I find that social media best fits my personality and availability. I enjoy interacting with the readers and hearing their input and feedback! I am extremely active on social media.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

The toughest criticism has probably been being told that my writing was garbage…mediocre at best. Ouch! That one really hurt. But you have to have a thick skin in this industry. If you don’t come in the game with it, you will develop it. You have to. The best compliment came when one of the pioneers of Urban fiction and a major publishing house editor validated my talent. I’ve also had a reader who usually reads John Grisham novels declare me as one of her favorite authors. That was big to me. I always try to take something from each compliment and criticism and use it to work for me.

Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews?

I’ve been truly blessed when it comes to reviews right now Another Woman’s Husband has 734 reviews on Amazon and the sequel, Another Woman's Husband 2, which was released in January is moving steady with 57. When interacting with new readers I generally just try to put a little reminder in their ear when they purchase the book, asking them to please leave a review…good or bad it will be greatly appreciated. Luckily my readers have responded to it very well.

Let everyone know where they can find you and your books.

I am most active on my FaceBook page, you can find me by searching Angel Mechelle or my publishing company ChickLife Publications. I am also on Instagram and Twitter @ Awritez. Look me up! I absolutely love interacting with the readers. Come get to know me and stay up on new release dates and book signings etc.

Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers? 

The best advice I can give to aspiring writer is to go ahead and just start. Many people have the desire to write but don’t know where to start. The first step is to start. Oh! And definitely do some research. No one is going to hand you a perfect step by step booklet. Much of the knowledge you gain will come from you putting in the work. Is there anything that you’d like to say to your readers/fans? Above all, I’d like to say thank you for all of the love and support. This writing thing has been a dream of mine for years and they have played a major role in making my dream come true. For that I’ll be forever grateful. I always tell people I don’t have “fans”, I have “friends”…for life

Previous Writer Wednesday Author Interview

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor