Writer Wednesday - Author Patrice Rivers

When did you first begin writing?

I began writing at a very early age of nine.  Starting writing short fiction stories, I learned a lot about my creativity and vivid imagination.  Then at the age of 15, I started writing poetry which one of my friends in high school motivated me to do so.  Poetry has been my true love of writing since then. 
 
When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?

My first book, “A Collection of God’s Word and Motivation” was published in May 2012. I finished the manuscript back in 2009 which only took me two days!

What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?

My first book ended up being poetry because that is what I love to write all the time.  I always wanted to publish my first book but I never knew when the time it would be.  In my first book, its Christian poetry that is mainly words of encouragement which everyone can use every day.  I like to encourage different people. 
 

Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?

Not really.  I try to write on my poetry site every other day if I can.  I do have two part-time jobs, but in the evening time when I get off, I try to squeeze my poetry writing in.  I also write for City Girl Magazine, Our Voices Magazine- A Magazine for Women and I’m also a columnist for Pen’Ashe Magazine.  So with writing articles and my poetry, I keep busy.


How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

I found out that marketing for myself is a lot of hard work.  I know that a lot of authors promote and market their books through so many different outlets, but I mainly market my books on social media like Facebook, twitter, Google plus and on my poetry site and fan page. Sometimes on LinkedIn as well.  I know there are other ways to market, but I’m still working on that department trying to be discovered by a lot more variety of authors and poets. 
 
What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

To be honest, I haven’t gotten any criticism for my books yet, but I know when I start to write more in the near future, I might receive some.  I just have to learn how to humble myself and take the criticism as a stepping stone and a learning experience towards my writings. 

Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews?

I’m always trying to network with different authors so that I can get more exposure of my work.  If someone is offering to review books, I normally would hit them up on Facebook or by email.  When you are in a profession that you are passionate about, you will be researching these types of things.  So I’m always on the move trying to find people to promote my work as well as review it.  I haven’t had much success so far, but that won’t stop me as I continue my journey of doing my research on book reviewers and getting into the hands of the right people. 

Let everyone know where they can find you and your books. (ie Facbook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.)

Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/Diva4Writing
Check out my poetry website www.lyricalpassion.me
Follow me on Google plus Patrice Rivers

Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?

You can do anything you set your mind to do.  If your passion is writing, then write your heart out! Publish your books, not just to get fame, but because you have and will accomplish something in life.  If God blessed you with the gift to write, then use it wisely! Don’t allow anyone to tell you what you can’t do in life because through God, all things are possible!

Is there anything that you’d like to say to your readers/fans?

Yes, I would like to say thank you to all my readers and supporters out there that has purchased my books! Special thanks to Earl Williams, Jay Brown, Ulysee Guerrier and others that have read my books.  I want to continue to keep my readers interested in my work of art.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor