Writer Wednesday - Author Erella Still Dreamin'

Please tell us a little about yourself

I am an entrepreneur, fiction writer, educator, linguist, historian and griot. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Africana Studies and also in Spanish, have written two books so far and am currently working on two more. I am divorced and reside in Cleveland, Ohio with my 14-year old daughter. I also speak, read and write Spanish and hope to open an English immersion summer camp in the Dominican Republic, in the future.

When did you first begin writing?

First of all, I would like to thank you for allowing me a platform to discuss my work. I first began writing in 1998. Originally, I thought that I wanted to be a screenwriter for the Spanish soap operas, called telenovelas. Boy was I wrong! I had no clue! The telenovelas are not even produced or made in this country! Lol!

When did you finish your first book and what’s the title?

My first book is The Flip Artist which I finished in 2010. I did not consider publishing it until recently and it is due for release this July. I thought that the best way to publish it was through a traditional publishing company but since then self-publishing has become a viable way to publish as well. As an author and entrepreneur, I decided to form my own publishing company, Wrong 2 Write Publishing and publish my own books


What genre do you write in and how did you choose that genre?

I write African American fiction or urban fiction novels primarily. However, I also have written a children’s book which I hope to publish and distribute this year as well. As a genre, African American fiction or urban fiction allows me a forum to discuss my experiences as a Black woman raised in a predominantly African American neighborhood. Although I was reared in a two-parent, middle class family in Cleveland, Ohio, I ended up being homeless, experiencing domestic violence in an abusive marriage, divorce, single parenthood, poverty and the effects of racism, discrimination and oppression as a minority group member. These experiences inform my perspective as a fiction writer, and I believe that my purpose is to use these experiences along with knowledge gained through education to record, describe, explain and disseminate African American, AfroCaribbean, AfroLatino and African history vis-รก-vis my books.

Do you write full-time or do you have another profession?

After experiencing a life threatening pulmonary embolism in 2009, I realized that life is short and is not promised. Therefore, I decided to dedicate my life to pursuing my dream of publishing my books and hopefully becoming a New York Times best-selling author. I write part-time, teach English classes to new immigrants and English Language Learners as well as tutor students in Spanish.

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

I plan on marketing my book using a web based promotions company. In keeping with ujaama, (collective economics), I try to support other African American entrepreneurs whom I have befriended on social media. I am part of a large online community of authors, publishers, graphic designers, editors, book clubs and entrepreneurs so I utilize this forum to market my book. It has worked very well for me and I look forward to continuing to market through other social media including Twitter, Instagram and Pin Interest. I can be found on Facebook and will have a separate Facebook page for The Flip Artist soon. Also, I have a webpage under construction for Wrong 2 Write Publishing. Finally, I hope to attend the Harlem Book Fair to market my books and look forward to attending other book fairs, book club forums, book signings and any other events for authors in the future.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

The toughest criticism I have received so far has been from an editor who said that my novel is too lengthy. As an avid book reader, some of the most enjoyable and memorable books that I have read have been more than four hundred pages, including Anne Rice, J.K. Rowling, Toni Morrison and Zora Neale Hurston. However, since I am agreeable to constructive criticism, I decided to break the novel into three parts so it will be a trilogy. The best compliment that I received was that I have talent and have created a very compelling novel.

Reviews are important for authors. How do you go about requesting reviews?

I plan on having online discussion groups about the book and then asking these participants to add a review when we’re done in the discussion group.

Let everyone know where they can find you and/or your books.


My Facebook page is Erella Still Dreamin, I will have a separate Facebook page for Wrong to Write Publishing and The Flip Artist soon.

Do you have any advice you can give to aspiring writers?


I would like to tell other aspiring authors to never give up on their dream. We all have a testimony to give and if writing is your calling, then use that medium as a way to reach others with yours. It has taken over ten years for me to see my goal of becoming a published author come to fruition. During that time I experienced a life threatening pulmonary embolism, which doctors told me should have killed me, homelessness, unemployment, divorce, and most recently, thyroid cancer. I know that I have a purpose for being here and it will be fulfilled.


Previous Writer Wednesday Author Interview

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Make Money Renting Out Your Car, Home, Space, Etc.

Work From Home Data Entry - Healthcare Field - Non-Phone

Work At Home Job Alert! Claim Processor